Getting Married In Santorini - Everything You Need To Know
Santorini is a small but spectacular island in Greece, located in the middle of the Aeagan sea, Santorini is highly popular as a wedding destination thanks to its natural beauty and amazing sunset views. If you and your partner are planning your wedding and are considering celebrating your special day at this location, this article is for you. Here is all you need to know before holding a wedding in Santorini. Take a look!
Why Santorini is a perfect choice for a destination wedding?
There are several reasons why choosing this island as your wedding location will be the best decision ever. Firstly, it's a fact that everyone wants their wedding pictures to be the best - and Santorini offers you several mesmerizing locations for holding your wedding. With several delightful spots across the island, it won't be difficult to decide on the perfect venue.
Moreover, you can enjoy delicious Mediterranean cuisine accompanied by delectable wine. That's just the right way of making your wedding more memorable! And the best part is that it's not mandatory to be a citizen of Greece to get married in the country. Foreigners are most welcome to hold their weddings on this beautiful island - as long as they follow the legal procedures.
Things to know before getting married in Santorini
If you are a foreigner unaware of the procedures you need to follow for holding your wedding in Santorini, you are sure to find the following points helpful.
- You can opt for either civil marriage or a religious wedding in Santorini.
- While Santorini is beautiful throughout the year, the best time to hold your wedding on the island is between April and October. The blue skies and plenty of sunlight will ensure you have some stunning shots of the occasion.
- You need to put in an application for your wedding with a marriage officer in the municipality where you'll be holding the wedding. This can be done in person or through a wedding planner.
- You need to hold your wedding within a period of 3 months from the date of application. After the end of this period, your application will be considered void, and you may need to reapply.
- As per the rule, you must be in Santorini for at least 3 consecutive days before your wedding date, so make your arrangements accordingly.
- You would need two witnesses for your wedding, and both of them need to have valid passports.
- To get married anywhere in Greece, both the bride and groom need to provide their valid passports, full birth certificates, as well a certificate for non-impediment to marry. In case you or your fiance have been divorced, you will also need to provide the final divorce decree.
- All the above documents need to be translated and certified by the Greece consulate or embassy in your country of residence.
- Your official marriage certificate will be in Greek. However, you can get it translated into English or your native country’s language by an official translator.
The Perfect SANTORINI Wedding Venue For You
While the legal formalities are undoubtedly an important aspect of your wedding, you also need to pay attention to other crucial details that can impact your special day. The combination of a stunning wedding venue and a capable wedding photographer is just what you need to make your day memorable.
And if in doubt about the location, asking your photographer for some recommendations isn't a bad idea. A Santorini wedding photographer can help you locate the perfect place to hold the wedding of your dreams. Having shot several weddings in the recent past, here are some of my favorite venues that you can choose from for celebrating your special day.
Ambassador Aegean Hotel
The Ambassador Hotel in Santorini is perhaps the best location for anyone who wants a romantic setting for their wedding. You can have a fairytale wedding where you can exchange vows against the backdrop of the most spectacular sunset you've ever seen. This luxury hotel has enough outdoor space to accommodate over 100 guests - making it the perfect spot for your dream destination wedding.
Le Ciel Santorini
Located in Imerovigli, Le Ciel Santorini is one of the most popular wedding venues on the island. Overlooking the Volcano and the Aegean sea, the outdoor terrace is just perfect for capturing some amazing shots of the ceremony. The venue also provides delicious Greek cuisine, so you won't need to make separate arrangements.
Make your wedding an unforgettable event for yourselves and your guests by hosting it at the luxurious Dana Villas. Located in Firostefani and overlooking the majestic setting of the Santorini Caldera, the open-air terrace is one of the most coveted locations for celebrating weddings or anniversaries.
The Santo Wines is another spectacular venue located in the Pyrgos village area. Located close to the Santorini Caldera, you can expect some amazing views of the majestic cliffs, especially during sunset. The location is perfect for hosting a private ceremony with up to 120 people.
The Santorini Gem offers indoor and outdoor venues for holding celebratory events like weddings. No matter whether you want a small-scale event or a grand reception with lots of guests, this venue is equipped to accommodate everything. If you want to capture your special moments while surrounded by natural beauty, this is just the location you need.
A luxury villa located at Akrotiri, Cavo Ventus is the venue to go for if you want to enjoy the best amenities without missing out on the breathtaking beauty of the island. It offers beautiful panoramic views of the Aegean sea and the volcano, which is sure to make your wedding pictures truly phenomenal.
If you have made up your mind to hold your wedding on the picturesque island of Santorini, I'm sure that this information with help you make the necessary preparations.
Destination wedding photographer
Choosing a Santorini photographer who is familiar with the wedding venue can make all the difference in your wedding photographs. From identifying the best poses and angles to suggesting the most scenic backgrounds - I take pride in capturing stunning shots that my clients in Santorini absolutely love. I really love Santorini, it has so many greats spots to shoot great pictures, like cliffs of Akrotiri or the Red Beach, the windmills of Vourvoulos. Just so many spectacular spots to name. If you need a wedding photographer with the ability to capture moments that you'll treasure forever, Reach out to me for more information on the wedding packages I offer and i'll be more than happy to share a Greek Salad with you!
Josefin & William
“Words cannot describe how happy we were to choose Romain for our wedding photography and the job he did was absolutely incredible! The photos were absolutely stunning but above all we were so happy with his presence and direction on the day, ensuring everyone knew what to do and that we got fantastic photos of everyone. He does stunning shots without staging or posing and we love his style of including many spontaneous shots and capturing little moments. I recommend him from the bottom of my heart, you will”